Thursday, January 10, 2013

Time Heals All Wounds?

     Time has passed.  It is now early into January and still the only date I know is October second.  October 2, 2012 is when the linear continuity of time ceased to be.  Since that date time has moved both too slowly and too quickly all at once.  Often it seems as though time for me refuses to move at all while time for others speeds ahead out of control.  With the passage of time comes the responsibility to become a functioning member of society again; a member of society who can shop and cook, work and smile.  And so, I accepted that responsibility as my own despite the fact that the word "functioning" has yet to describe my post trauma self.   
     The decision to return to work was one that was made for me.  It was made by the passage of time.  I had taken my twelve weeks of leave afforded to me by the Family Medical Leave Act.  "Oh it'll be scary," everyone would recite.  "But, you'll find it to be a welcome distraction."  I thought distraction was an interesting choice of words to use. But, it was a word that everyone seemed to surreptitiously agree upon.  What I am sure people meant by stating that it would be a distraction was that I would be distracted from the agony of the grief that has engulfed me.  Be as that may, a distraction was something that drew attention away and distracted was exactly what I expected to be.   Some people have a job where a moment of distraction away from their duties, while not desirable, is still tolerable.  However, as a teacher of 35 first grade students at a Title I school, distracted is something I cannot afford to be.  Distraction was not the only thing making me apprehensive about my return to work.  I worried that I could not muster enough energy to give any to my teaching.  These children, who come from households where little to no attention is paid to the child, need a teacher who can give and I was afraid I could not.  They need someone who can show them what being strong through the pain looks like and strength was something I did not feel I possessed. I was afraid that now that I know what true emotional suffering feels like, I may get lost in the empathy for these children and be of no help to them.  I also intensely feared how I would be able to tolerate the intolerance of the parental community at my school.  Many, dare I say most, of the parents whose children attend the school where I work, have no appreciation for the wonder that is their child.  If you have seen a move that highlights the family life of a disadvantaged child and thought "no parent could act like that," I will tell you they can and they do.  There is a high level of apathy and even hostility towards children in these communities.  How would I look these parents in the eye and not command they do better?  Their children are gifts, after all, and they should be treated as such.  Lastly, I feared that I may have lost the ability to interact with my peers.  The other teachers at the school had all watched my belly grow and when my baby died, their world continued to spin.  They knew how to laugh without crying.  They knew how to have a conversation without mentally being somewhere else.  How could I be near them, speak to them, without feeling like a fraud?   
     Despite all of these fears, time had chosen to pass and so I found myself faced with the duty to prepare.  This duty brought me to Kohls department store to purchase clothing suitable for work.  I wandered around the store in a seemingly aimless fashion. What should have taken an hour or less took me two and a half at best and the store became the site of what felt like an unprovoked episode of uncontrollable tears.  I pushed through the tears, however, not due to strength.  I knew that the time and effort I had invested in shopping for clothing when I cared not about my appearance was not a task I could repeat anytime soon.  I waited in the checkout line hoping that someone's discomfort with the situation would lead them to allow me to move ahead of them.  Instead, I was met with silence and a lack of eye contact and acknowledgement.  As I reached the checkout counter the freshman college male cashier pretended not to notice my emotion.  "Did you find everything you were looking for today?"  He quoted straight from his training script no doubt.  What I was looking for?  Now what was that exactly?  Sanity? Purpose?  I surely did not know.  None the less, I nodded as I wiped a tear that had escaped my face and now was rounding the bend from my chin to my neck.  "Are you a member of our email club?" He continued to quote.
     "No?" I peered at him with narrow questioning eyes; eyes that were puddled and red.  I waited for him to show some acknowledgement that I was experiencing emotional distress.  Just as in the checkout line, no such acknowledgment occurred.  
     "Are you sure?  You'll get a $5 off coupon just for signing up today and you can use it on your very next purchase."  He continued to recite his script enthusiastically. 
     "No!" I replied more emphatically the second time.
     "Okay, well would you like to apply for our in store credit card and save 20% today?"  It was shocking to me that he kept so close to his script. 
     "No! Please just ring me up."  I am sure our exchange puzzled this young man, it certainly puzzled me.  But my goal was clear.  Get the clothes, pay for them and get as far from the inside of that store as possible.  
     Again, without my knowledge or permission, time passed and the date was January seventh, the day that was to be my first day back at work.  I awoke at 5:40 AM unaided by an alarm clock after having slept on my oversized chair in the living room.  I fed my dogs and let them out.  I showered, brushed my teeth and got dressed.  I packed a lunch a friend had made for me and made a breakfast shake from a pre made powder pouch.  All of these things, these preparations seemed like they were happening to someone else.  Like I was just an observer in my own life.  It struck me, how calm I felt. As I drove to work I felt nothing.  Truly nothing.  It must have been cold because the temperature gauge in my car read 35 degrees fahrenheit, but I didn't feel cold.  I rode to school in silence, no radio, no phone.  I thought, perhaps I had gone numb.  Then, I pulled into the parking lot.  When my car came to a complete stop I began to cry, then I began to sob, then wail.  Breathing was suddenly difficult.  I could hear other cars pull in and I could see the glare of their headlights on the snowy lot.  I shielded my face from them.  I didn't want to be faced with conversations with staff members.  I didn't want to admit that I had been sitting there paralyzed by grief, unable to leave my car.  The word had spread that I had arrived and so two staff members approached me tentatively; one on either side of my vehicle.  As soon as they got close enough to see that I was crying they backed away and retreated inside.  Twenty minutes after I initially parked, I walked into the school building accompanied by a friend.  I thought perhaps the tears would stop once I entered, but I misjudged myself.  "Are you okay?" someone asked.  No, I certainly was not okay.  The weight of being inside the school became overwhelming and too heavy to bare.  I entered what had been my classroom.  I don't think I wanted to enter the room at all, but my need to escape the vulnerability of the hallway overrode my choice to enter my classroom.  As I stood there looking around, it all felt unfamiliar to me.  The classroom no longer felt like it was mine.  The school's director came to welcome me back and all I could do was stand and cry.  She lead me down to her office where I cowered behind her locked door as she alerted the principal and HR coordinator of my state.  After only being in the school for a few minutes I left defeated by grief and four days later have yet to return.  
     Rose Kennedy once mused "It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone."  I am left to wonder, however, does the pain really lessen?  I think it is more likely that I am faced with a perpetual choice to find more ways to mask the pain, more ways to walk as if I do not feel pain with every step and every stop.  Sometimes my efforts to disguise my pain, however vigorous,  are for naught and the pain overtakes the moment.   
     

8 comments:

  1. Time does heal all wounds if you allow it to. Cecilia's soul is on her way to God and you must find the strength to let her go. Certainly keeping the memory of this child alive is honoring that soul but she must be allowed to complete her journey and that means you must heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Feb-26-Sun-2006/living/5987837.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to use that saying a lot.. "time heals all wounds" another favorite of mine "everything happens for a reason" ... then my baby died and I realized how wrong those sayings are! I will say that while time hasn't completely healed me, it has helped - I no longer cry every day or even every time I think of my baby boy (which even 4 years later, is everyday!) Nothing can heal a scar so deep. I've always found it a bit calming to read other people's blogs and words about their loss, we are all so similar in our grief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon
    As I am for Lisa I am similarly sorry for your loss. However time DOES heal all wounds unless one picks at it continuously.
    When you dismiss that "everything happens for a reason" you demonstrate how narcissistic you are. If you do not believe in what is commonly referred to as God then this life is simply a waste of time and a joke.
    Celia's soul and that of your son is clearly on their way to God, whatever that is. It is clearly beyond our understanding as no earthly person can tell you what is beyond.
    If you do not believe any of that then why are you not engaging in base activities that simply make you feel good until one day you die and existence is extinguished.
    Look back through history and come to understand that things do have an order and a reason.
    Get back to living your life and let time do its work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please understand that not everyone will share in your beliefs. That being said, I respect your views and beliefs as equally as I respect my own, Shannon's, and anyone else who has experienced such a loss. Please display the same respect for others when you post comments on this blog. Thank you for your understanding.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lisa, I apologize on behalf of people who judge, criticize or think they know how you should behave and feel now. Your loss is still so recent. Your feelings are completely valid and I believe in your right to respect them. I know the consequences of ignoring mine, and I know ignoring them is the worst approach. I also apologize on behalf of the people whose discomfort disallows them from tolerating your feelings, or anyone's, and prevents them from a normal human response of care and offering comfort. I love you. I trust you to take care of yourself exactly the way you know you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The passage of time makes it easier to cope. The wounds we acquire when we say goodbye to our children never fully heal, and really I don't know that they should. My baby will always be in my heart and I think of him every single day and will continued to do so for as long as I live....and sometimes those wounds become fresh again...but that is ok because to remember, and to talk/write about our little ones is how we honor them and show our love.

    "Sadness is just love wasted, with no little heart to place it inside" Craig Cardiff

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa, Greetings from Singapore.

    I read your heart, your grief, your sorrow, some of which was unspoken.
    I just wanted to say that, I wish to embrace you in a hug and share your every tears, be it just sobs.

    The rawness of your writing causes me to recall every scene, every contraction right to the unexpected delivery and departure of my baby J in the toilet.

    Just wanted to write to u and let you know that you are well loved, and because of your blog, you will never be alone in this walk. Although we can be neither each other to experience what we had truly went through but what is similiar is that, our love is gone forever.
    Our babies, we will always hold dear in our heart.
    And there will not be a day that will pass by without any remembrance of our little angel.

    No words of comfort will ever soothe, and even when our fleshy wounds of the aftermath has healed, the emptiness and loss still prevails.
    Becoz this is the heart of a mother to her precious baby.

    I pray that you do take care of your health, and eat well even though there are times we wonder why do we even eat at all anymore... daily routine will never be the same again but you will always have support here.

    Thank you for writing this blog and do continue with it so you can have an outlet of release too.

    I would like to give you a very big hug because I understand...

    Adele

    ReplyDelete